Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Recycling your Electronics as Toys for Tots



I have noticed that even though Emery will play with her own toys, she really wants to play with the things that I am using! Like most young kids, she likes playing with pots & pans, laundry, & especially ELECTRONICS!

There have been several times that I give Emery her toy phone and laptop, but then she quickly puts it down in exchange for my phone or she tries to push a key on the laptop.  We knew that we didn't want to allow Emery to use our real keys, laptop, or phone for obvious reasons so I came up with the idea of finding outdated electronics just for her!

If you have had a similar issue, try finding old electronics around the house or try buying some cheap ones at Good Will or at a garage sale. Here is a list of items that I have found that Emery really likes playing with:


Emery's office essentials
talking on her remote control with her eyes shut!

1. Old cell phone

2. Calculator. You can even get an old calculator with the receipt tape which actually punches the numbers out on paper! It helps with counting :)

3. Old laptops/computers. If you child is older, you can turn the power on (w/o internet) and let your child play on computer games, Paint, or Word. Emery just pretends :)

4. TV remotes from old televisions. They are so easy to find at Thrift stores and garage sales if you don't have extras lying around the house.

5.  Keys with key chains- Go to a hardware store and get some fun colored keys or ask for the old ones that they don't use. A set of blank keys works too. ( that way they don't open anything in your house ) 
If you have young kids, make sure your outlets are plugged with the protectors just in case.


6. Cameras


What I have found to be quite helpful to get Emery more interested in her toys when I am playing with mine, is to NOT keep all of her toys out at once. If I rotate them out every few days, she treats them like new treasure!

I also try to organize the toys according to a theme. One day I will take out her grocery cart and let her play with the food, pots, & pans. She also gets to play with her purse to bring to the "store". I will fill it with her phone, keys, & wallet (a Cubs wallet btw!) which holds old cards and coupons. Sometimes when I get junk mail from the mailman, I let Emery rip it open. I figure I am going to just throw it away anyhow! Old cereal boxes are fun to fill her cart with  too:)

When she wants to play with her laptop, I get out the the  "office" play box and she can have fun with the calculator, remotes, phone, and paper.

Whenever I need to jump on my laptop to check my emails or pay bills, I just make sure to either do it when Emery is not around  or get out her own electronic toys for her to participate too :)

Any other ideas relating to electronics!!???


No comments: