Sunday, January 2, 2011

Oatmeal Bath: Stress & Itch Relief


If you have been running around all day either at work, running errands, or just chasing after your kids, your energy is probably going to be wearing down out at some point-especially if you have been doing this all week long!

For me, often times I do not take enough time to rest or find a way to relax throughout the day. Usually after a long week (when I do not get a lot of rest or time to relax) my body tends to get worn down and the littlest things seem to stress me out.

When Emery goes down for her nap, I see it as either a time for me to nap, which I should and sometimes do, or I see it as a time where I can get something done that is harder to do when she is awake. My first year with Emery has taught me a lot about how I need to take more time away from everyone and just enjoy something for myself like reading, exercising, or learning a new hobby.

I got really curious one day while I was making Emery some breakfast, what different uses for oatmeal may be. I had heard that there were many uses for it so I did some quick research. I found that oatmeal has so many great uses! One that stood out was an oatmeal bath for stress or itch relief. When I was younger I had eczema so I thought this may be worth a try.

I got all the ingredients together and started making a bath. It was really funny because Tyler was looking at me like I was really weird. Especially because I had the milk carton, oats, and honey next to the tub!

The recipe is simple because most of the ingredients are already in your kitchen. 

You can use either the dry or wet method.

Dry Method:
  • 1-2 cups of oats (if you want better results, do not get the instant oats even though they work fine) 
  • 1-2 cups of milk
  • *honey
  • Lavender
  • Chamomile
  • *Peppermint or chamomile tea bag ( white teas that do not change color to reds work best so they don't stain)
  • *Essential oil of choice- Chamomile, peppermint, lavender, eucalyptus, tea tree, or echinacea work well for stress and skin care
  • *Sachet pouch
(* optional  )

Directions:
Draw your bath with hot water. This will help the ingredients infuse quicker. Add your milk, honey and a few drops of essential oil (if you have some) to your bath. If you have a bath sachet add your oats to that so that the bath does not have floaties! I did not have one so I had floating oats everywhere. I thought it was part of the experience I guess! If you want to use loose herbs such as the ones listed above, add those to the sachet too. Otherwise, let them float around. Some people grind the oats and dried herbs first, but you do not have to. let the water cool down for a while before getting in. This gives the ingredients extra time to do their job before you get in.

If you do not have the herbal ingredients, just use a tea bag or two instead. Tea bags already have lots of soothing herbs in them. If you do not keep herbs at home, tea bags are a great, cheap way to get the same effects without buying every herb for just one bath experience.  Make sure you do not break the bag or it will get all over the tub or in your hair. If you want to be EXTRA cautious with it, steep your tea bags in hot water, like regular tea, and then add it to your bath.



Wet Method:
Using the same ingredients above, add 1-2cups of milk to a pot on medium/low heat. once warmed, add your oats, and herbs if you have them. If you do not have them you can always follow the same method above with the tea bags by steeping them in hot water and then adding it to the warm pot. In this method, you can add honey if you would like. Usually a tablespoon or two is good. Once the ingredients stirred together, let them keep warm so that the ingredients cook, but do not boil. Remove from heat and once it's cooled, add your essential oils.
Find a container to pour the mixture into and then place in the fridge for a few days. You can use the mixture right away if you want. Otherwise, allowing the ingredients to be stored makes for a more potent bath. Add to your hot bath water when ready to unwind and relax with or without a sachet.

I have found it cheaper to buy the herbs that I know I would use on a regular basis in bulk for home remedies, lotions, tinctures, shampoos, etc. from  http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/, http://www.starwest-botanicals.com/, or http://www.bulkherbstore.com/ The price is good for the amount you order and I know that I can use them as the base for many things I need around the house verses going to the store and paying an arm and a leg for a  such a small amount. You can start adding additional herbs to your baths as you learn more about the ones you like.






Oats have lots of health benefits including  nutrients such as fiber and proteins that attack cancerous toxins and is great for maintaining  good levels of cholesterol.


They also contain antioxidants that nourish and moisturize the skin. Oats naturally exfoliate the skin removing dead layers and sealing in the moisture of new layers coming in. It has healing properties such as reducing swelling and inflammation so you can use oats in other home remedies for scrapes or skin  care products.


Lavender has its obvious calming effects which calms the nervous system and cures restlessness and anxiety. It too shares the same skin healing properties as oats. It can be used also for relieving asthma or chest congestion. If you research echinacea and eucalyptus you will find similar benefits.

No comments: